What have I got to blog about?

In common with a lot of people, I'm a bit of a displaced person. I spend half the year living in the beautiful hilltop town of Lectoure in SW France and the other half in a very different but equally stunning place, the city of Edinburgh, Scotland's capital. (Sorry Glaswegians, but it IS.) Wherever I am I write....novels, short stories, shopping lists and now blogs. It's a curse and a blessing, this compulsion to put everything into words. Here's to all you fellow writers out there who, like me, hope some of our words will find an audience!



Saturday 12 March 2011

Grannying and Writing

How did they survive?

I'm back in Edinburgh having fun for a few weeks, learning to be a first-time granny. I've brought up three sons and now realise it's a miracle they all survived, because apparently, thirty years ago, I was doing everything WRONG! New babies lie on their backs now, not their fronts; they must never be exposed to a room temperature above 18C; they must never be left in their cribs to cry, even for an instant, because they'll feel rejected, and as for the dreaded nappy bucket, which by a piece of fancy footwork on my part was always my husband's job to empty, well it doesn't exist anymore. It's been replaced by an extremely clever object that not only swallows the disposable nappy but wraps it up hygienically into the bargain. Don't ask me HOW - I'm only a rookie granny.

Nappy changing lesson

So the other day, sporting my L plates, I had to suffer the ultimate ignominy of having my eldest son and now very proud dad, give me a demonstration of how to change my grandson's nappy. I watched very attentively - this is a serious business after all - but inside I couldn't resist a grin. How many of my teacher's nappies had I changed in his lifetime? - far too many to count. But that was a long time ago. Memory fades and things have moved on since then. I needed to be open to a granny refresher course. But I also needed to remind myself that I'd learnt a few things over the years as well, that I have the wisdom of experience to pass on to these wonderful new parents.

Keep the faith

As with grannying, so with writing. As a writer, seeking publication, you get used to being 'ever so 'umble'. You steel yourself for rejection, over and over again; you consider any and every suggestion that anyone makes about your work; you draft and re-draft until you're worn out and cross-eyed and no longer know whether the end result is a load of rubbish or a work of genius. But somehow you have to retain your self-esteem, to believe that you have a gift worth exercising. You have to expose yourself to the input of others, to learn and accept criticism without losing faith in yourself.

'Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young (or not so young, come to that!)....Do not neglect your gift.'
(I Timothy 5:12-14)

No comments:

Post a Comment